Friday, 30 March 2018

Short Waves Festival 2018

Short Waves Festival 2018

I feel like last week (20-25.03.2018) was one of the most challenging and inspiring time of my recent years. It was all because I had to combine university, apprenticeship and volunteering at Short Waves Film Festival 2018 at the same time. And believe me or not, I've become time management's master and also I think that short-haul runs are my cup of tea. Especially from Rondo Kaponiera to Kino Muza.

It wasn't my first time being a volunteer during culture-related events. However, I find SWF 2018 very original and outstanding, I'm going to explain you why. 

So, the specificity of SWF lies in the program of screenings shown during this festival. For example, my duty was to keep eye on screenings in Kino Muza, which were all related to the topic of Brexit, mostly depicted from a perspective of a single individual. Some of the shooting locations were in Ireland or Scotland so I had a great opportunity to practice my comprehension skill ;)  

Screenings in Kino Muza might not seem so extraordinary, so let me tell you something about an event which inspired me the most. Random Home Cinema - this is a screening organised with the help of regular citizens. They sign up to offer their own flats, in which a screening takes place. The SWF crew then chooses a few flats. The exact place, time and topic are top secret for everyone, until people interested receive a message with those infos ( usually 2 hours before screening). I participated in RHC only once and that one covered the topic of future. The flat was especially redecorated and snacks, pillows and some drinks ( :) ) vere provided. Then around 30 people sat on the floor and watched a few short films connected with future and technology. 

I know nothing about interiors, but this one was perfect.

The second, most original screening in my opinion was  A Wall Is A Screen in which a group of people could walk around Poznań's Old Town and watch short movies on the city's walls. Screenings' places hadn't been picked randomly, all of them were connected to the topic of the movie. For example, Polish short film entitled "Tango" was shown next to a Dance School's banner. 

Screening in the Wrocławska tram stop, presenting a movie about a guy who was cleaning tram and trains' windows. 

OK, I see that my post has become extremely long, so to finish it, I'll show you some perks of being a volunteer, except for the opportunity to watch all of the movies for free, an obvious one :D


Celebrating the 10th anniversary of Short Waves Festival.
Meeting people with whom you can share your taste.

Some of the movies are available online, so how about watching one or two on our English classes? :)




5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice experience! I must say I feel eager to take part in the next one! But you know, meeting new people is the thing that scares me the most, is it possible to participate in it and avoid that part? Let me know!
    Greetings,
    Proscovia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. There's one good strategy: you have to sit in the front row! ;)

      Delete
  3. Speaking of film festivals, I would like to invite you to Camerimage to Bydgoszcz, you would certainly like it, but it was taken away from us by Toruń :). I have heard many times that being a volunteer at art festivals is a great opportunity to train a language and get to know inspiring people, you just had confirmed this rule!

    ReplyDelete

Summer festival’s savoir-vivre

Summer festival’s savoir-vivre That’s the second part of my concert-related "instructions". This time it’s something abo...